A visit to Cutty Sark – SEO Thoughts
The Cutty Sark is a British clipper ship. Built on the Clyde in 1869 for
the Jock Willis shipping line, she was among the last tea clippers to be
developed and one of the fastest, coming at the end of an extended
period of design development which stopped as cruising ships paved the
way to steam propulsion.
The opening of the Suez Canal (likewise in 1869) suggested that steam
ships now had a much shorter course to China, so Cutty Sark spent only a
few years on the tea trade prior to counting on the trade in wool from
Australia, where she held the record time to Britain for 10 years.
Improvements in steam modern technology meant that slowly steamships
likewise came to dominate the longer cruising course to Australia and
the ship was offered to the Portuguese business Ferreira and Co. in
1895, and renamed Ferreira. She continued as a cargo ship up until
bought by retired sea captain Wilfred Dowman in 1922, who utilized her
as a training ship running from Falmouth, Cornwall. After his death she
was transferred to the Thames Nautical Training College, Greenhithe in
1938 where she became an auxiliary cadet training ship along with HMS
Worcester. By 1954 she had ceased to be useful as a cadet ship and was
moved to permanent dry dock at Greenwich, London on public display. The
Cutty Sark is a remnant of the many
World Trader ships of the 19th Century.
Cutty Sark is among 3 ships in London on the Core Collection of the
National Historic Ships Register (the nautical equivalent of a Grade 1
Listed Building)– along with HMS Belfast and SS Robin. She is among
only 3 remaining original composite building (wooden hull on an iron
frame) clipper ships from the 19th century in part or whole, the others
being the City of Adelaide, awaiting transportation to Australia for
conservation, and the beached skeleton of Ambassador of 1869 near Punta
The ship was badly damaged by
fire on 21 May 2007 while undergoing
conservation. This must have been one of the saddest episodes of
in London. The vessel has been restored and was reopened to the
public on 25 April 2012
Cutty Sark was predestined for the tea trade, then an extremely
competitive race throughout the world from China to London, with a
significant reward to the ship that arrived with the first tea of the
year. The return trip with 1450 tons of tea from Shanghai started 25
June, arriving 13 October in London through the Cape of Good Hope. The
ship completed 8 round trip annual journeys, but the Suez Canal had
opened to shipping in 1869 simply as Cutty Sark was being introduced.
Moore stayed captain just for one round trip to China, taking 117 days
for the return journey. This was 14 days longer than Thermopylae and 27
days longer than accomplished by the iron ship Hallowe’en a few months
later on. Captain W. E. Tiptaft assumed command in 1873 attaining 118
days on his first return trip, however after the ship had to travel 600
miles up the Yangtze River looking for a cargo. Steamships were now
taking many of the tea. The following year the return journey took 122
days, but on the external trip Cutty Sark set a record time of 73 days
from London to Sydney. In November 1877 the ship was anchored off Deal
in the English Channel in addition to 60 various other ships, suffering
a terrific storm. The anchor fallen short to hold and Cutty Sark was
blown through the ships destructive two others prior to grounding on a
mud bank. She was pulled clear by the tug Macgregor before too much
damage was triggered and she was hauled to the Thames for repair works.
In 1954 she was moved to a customized dry-dock at
close to the
River Thames. She was
stripped of upper masts, yards, deck-houses and ballast to lighten her
before being towed from East India Import Dock to the special dry dock
at Greenwich. The foundation stone of the dry dock was laid by The Duke
of Edinburgh, customer of the Cutty Sark Preservation Society, in June
The Cutty Sark was protected as a museum ship, and has actually since
become a popular tourist destination, and part of the National Historic
Fleet, Core Collection. She is found near the center of Greenwich, in
south-east London, close aboard the National Maritime Museum, the
previous Greenwich Hospital, and Greenwich Park. She is also a prominent
landmark on the course of the London Marathon. She usually flies signal
flags from her ensign halyard reviewing “JKWS”, which is the code
representing Cutty Sark in the International Code of Signals, presented
The ship is in the care of the Cutty Sark Trust, whose president, the
Duke of Edinburgh, was instrumental in ensuring her conservation, when
he set up the Cutty Sark Society in 1951. The Trust changed the Society
in 2000. She is a Grade I listed monolith and is on the Buildings At
Risk Register. The gallery below the ship holds the world’s biggest
collection of ships’ figureheads, donated to the Society by Sydney
Cumbers in 1953.
Cutty Sark station on the
Docklands Light Railway is one minute’s walk
away, with connections to central London,
Stratford and the Central Line and the London Underground.
Greenwich Pier is beside the ship, and is served by arranged river boats
from piers in main London. A vacationer info workplace stands to the
eastern of the ship.
On the morning of 21 May 2007, the Cutty Sark, which had actually been
closed and partially dismantled for preservation work, caught fire, and
burned for a number of hours before the London Fire Brigade can bring
the fire under control. Preliminary reports suggested that the damage
was comprehensive, with most of the wooden framework in the center
having actually been lost.
In a meeting the next day, Richard Doughty, the chief executive of the
Cutty Sark Trust, exposed that a minimum of half of the “textile”
(lumbers, and so on) of the ship had not been on website as it had been
removed during the conservation work. Doughty mentioned that the trust
was most worried about the state of iron structure to which the material
was affixed. He did not know the amount of more the ship would cost to
restore, however approximated it at an added £5– 10 million,
bringing the overall expense of the ship’s restoration to £30– 35
She continued as a cargo ship up until bought by retired sea captain
Wilfred Dowman in 1922, who utilized her as a training ship running from
Falmouth, Cornwall. The ship completed eight round trip yearly journeys,
but the Suez Canal had actually opened to shipping in 1869 simply as
Cutty Sark was being launched. In November 1877 the ship was anchored
off Deal in the English Channel along with 60 various other ships,
waiting out a fantastic storm. The gallery underneath the ship holds the
world’s largest collection of ships’ figureheads, donated to the Society
by Sydney Cumbers in 1953.
He did not understand how much more the ship would cost to restore,
however estimated it at an added £ 5– 10 million, bringing the total
cost of the ship’s renovation to £30– 35 million.
SEO and the Cutty Sark
The Cutty Sark is a reminder of the importance of speed in the delivery of food and nutrition related products.
The sailors of the Cutty Sark did not have the luxury kitchens that so many enjoy these days. They had no kitchen broker to find the best deals on kitchen cupboards even for budget kitchens.
There was no door to door distribution of dinners for those hard working sailors.